31 January 2007

France or not??

After we came back from the trip to Paris, 1 question is always in our mind... This isn't so important for our daily life but I asked my curiosity and I have decided to search about its answer,,,

The question is...

Is French fries from France or not??



We met a lot of dishes with french fries in Paris... But I'm not sure why, I feel it's like a fast food!!! It's not my imagination of French food!!!!!! Because we went not so bad restaurant! Especially near the tower, we went great cafe, they called me "Madam"! Why? It's like fast food! Whenever we ordered some dishes, they came with french fries.

Especially in English, why it is called
French fries??

Once, a couple from America who were sitting next to us in a cafe, have tried to discuss about the same question! And finally they asked the cafe's waitress about why french fries are called FRENCH??
Is it from France?? And she said "Yes, we call it French Fritz in French."

OKOK,

I don't trust that~~~~~~, because you broke my dream of French food!!!! It's like fast food!!!!

So, I have tried to search about why it's called french fries.

The answer is that it's from Belgium (not France), and at first Belgian immigrants have brought it to America, and because they were speaking French so that American thought that they are from France and it has been called French fries in English (in America).

Actually what I was surprised is how America is great to influence Japan!! Because since I have started to learn English, I have thought why Fried potatoes (we call it Fried potatoes in Japan) is called French fries in English. We have never know why because we have already had an image about where it comes from, it's from America! Japan didn't have french fries in the past for sure, we have our own food culture, but after we have finished the war, a lot of things from America have been increasing not only from America, but also from the other countries, areas, cultures... I only have an idea that French fries should be American fast food...

How much Japan has been influenced by America??


Please click here and cheer us!!and go to blog-ranking!!

No comments: