14 December 2006

Designer tools (1)

Firstly, I don’t know how many industrial designers will read this post, if there are any opinion for me, please feel free to contact me!

In the industrial design world, nowadays our situation are become more complicated than before. 20 years ago, at that time most of our professors still students, at that period of time, hand drawing skill are the most important for them as they didn’t have any 3D softwares. But now, in our generation if you don’t know how to use 3D softwares, even you will get into trouble for graduate from school.

In Chinese speaking, we have the speaking about “Tools should be well prepared before you go to do something important”. So transfer to industrial design, what is our tools? pencil? marker pen? 3D software? Today I would like to spend some time to talk about 3D software, not going to teach you how to use 3D software, but the tools for 3D software, here is my experience:


First of all, do you know what is this(both left and right pic)? This is my desktop computer’s display card and CPU. Actually the tools for 3D software is the computer itself, without it, you cannot use any softwares. In design school, you can always hear about someone’s PC suddenly doesn’t work before the day final presentation, so they have nothing to hand in or present.


Computer problems mostly come from virus or hardwares, virus is better because that’s more easy to be solve. But for the hardwares … that’s easy to kill all of your data suddenly. As Milan’s buildings are old and they still using the electricity system from 100 years ago (sorry, may be they didn’t have electricity 100 years ago), last week the power suddenly gone and I couldn’t get into windows after restart... at that moment, I told myself “find out the way to save my data in desktop folder” (If you want to know how I get back my data without get into windows, please email me! I don’t want to have too many words here).


The idea that I want to bring out today, which is about how important that designers (not only industrial designers) know how to fix their own tools. Once you know how to fix it, you will have more knowledge/ideas about how to use it in a better way. Finally, I also have the alternative solution for the those who don’t want to fix their “tools”.

To have more than 1 computer!

No comments: